Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Letter to Edvard Munch

Dear Mr. Munch,

One thing I like about your art is the way your pictures make the person looking at them feel like they are there.


All of your paintings make me feel very emotional.





The first painting of yours that I liked was The Scream. I feel like I can hear the scream even though there is no sound. You are that good at making it feel real.


Then I started looking at more of your work and I noticed that it can be both terrifying and beautiful at the same time. I’ve never seen anything like it.


Sometimes the paintings make me feel like I am walking on a sandy beach. Other times, they make me feel like I am in a horror movie. Everyone sees your paintings in a different way.

I like the way you use such soft edges in your images. You make everything swirl and seem like a circle. The colors in your pictures are true to life. I think your sunsets look beautiful and your horizon line is just right. Your art seems to pop out at me but it doesn’t quite, since it is really a two dimensional picture.

To be honest, there is nothing that I don’t like about your paintings, except that maybe I wish there were more.

Sincerely,

Sam Engle

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sam:
I think you could easily have a career as a professional art critic. Your insights get to the very core of what many people, including millions of adults, probably feel when they look at Edvard Munch paintings. Only the rest of us can't quite express our feelings the way you do. Thanks for speaking up for all of us. It would be cool if the artist could actually receive your letter.
Love,
Aunt Maria

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what else do you really like the most, apart from the video and computer games, and internet and "Congrats" man, you are talented and know good stuff, am not talented in arts-painting but you have chosen good paints!! And you would have a successful career in art critics as your Aunt Maria was saying!!

Am proud of you Sam!!

Sam