Thursday, August 17, 2006

A day at Agate Beach

Almost a week ago, we went to Agate Beach and spent a while there playing on the shores. It was very rocky. Small crevices in the rocks that are full of water during high tide. When it gets to low tide, you can see the small craters in the rock. There are some sea creatures there. The beach was also full of seaweed. It would be almost impossible not to step on any seaweed when you go there.

We went at low tide. I got wet. That was the worst part, except for the stickiness. You could even touch all of the sea creatures in the tide pools but you had to get your hands wet first. You could even touch the sea creatures that are out of the tide pools. There were about 8 starfish there and there were even nudibranches. There were a lot of tide pools at Agate Beach. They were different shapes and sizes. There were also lots of slugs and a few crabs in shells. There were even a few empty shells.

This is a picture of a few sea anemones. When you put your finger in the center of one in the water, it would tickle a little bit. It would close up on your finger which you could just easily pop out.












This is a nudibranch that we found in a tide pool with the first starfish we saw. I thought it was very cool because of its gold body and its blue tail and head. I had never seen anything like it before.










This is a picture of what we think might be another nudibranch. I also thought it was cool because of its orangish spots all over and the whitish parts in between. It looked like the orange spots were popping up.

We didn't touch either nudibranch.







We are standing on seaweed looking into the tide pools and occasionally putting our finger into a sea anemone.



















We saw a rock that was hollow on the inside. You could see into it. It was arched on the top.
















I am standing on the rock that was in the last picture. It is in front of a very tall and steep sea wall.















Here is a picture of one of the starfish we saw. I think it is the one from the first tide pool with the first nudibranch.















Here I am holding a starfish that somebody else took off a rock. It is very hard to take a starfish off the rock. It hurts your hand to try.

















Mom was trying to take a starfish off a rock. I tried to take the same starfish off the rock. We couldn't get it off. It hurt our hands to try because the back of the starfish is very rough (and pretty). I think the starfish's skin is ridged to protect the starfish. No wonder we couldn't get it up.















The first sea anemones we saw were green. We also saw a few sea anemone that were pinkish-red.













Here I am standing and sliding down the rock. It was very slippery.
















Here I am putting the starfish I held back on a rock. It was half submerged and half above water. I thought I did a pretty good job.













This is the biggest sea anemone we saw out of water. It was about 3 inches wide at its widest point and 2 inches at its narrowest.















These shells were sticking to the bottom of the hollow arched rock. They looked like stalactites.












Here I am standing on a huge boulder. I don't remember much about this.


















These are very beautiful rocks. I think what may of made them beautiful was the coral on them.















This was the biggest sea anemone we saw under water. None of us stuck our finger in it. It actually might have taken them off. It seemed to be glowing.










Cameron is wearing his Project Homeless Connect shirt at the tide pools. He looks cool (but I am just saying that, so Cameron won't make me write another sentence about this picture.)


















Here I am holding a dead crab that I found in one of the tide pools underneath a rock. The back of his shell would open up but not fall off.
















This is the dead crab with his shell flipped up. On the top it was purple. The brownish-whitish things we think are gills. Its legs were about 2 inches tall. Its pinchers were about a centimeter tall.













Here I am standing up high on a tree that fell over, using it as a balance beam. My mom was being my spotter. I felt a bit scared. Before this, I had used a different log as a balance beam, and I didn't fall off once. But, I wasn't scared then because it was lower.




















Here I'm looking at the ocean waves and holding my walking stick. I felt vibrant and free.

On the way back, I ran through a small bit of water. My shoes got soaked. I also slipped into one of the tidepools. My shoes are still outside drying.










This is the earlier log that I was going on like a low balance beam that I went on on the way back. I fell off this one a few times, because I didn't have the walking stick. But my mom went back to get her coat. So, I asked her to grab it. And when she came back with it I said, "It wasn't hard to find was it?"

And she said, "No." This is because I stuck the stick into the sand right next to the place where Mom and Cam were sitting ... seen here and here.












Here my head is poking out of the sun roof. We stopped so me and Mom wouldn't throw-up from car sicness, because the road was windy.







These are pictures of rocks that we found at Agate Beach. The rocks there were very interesting. Here are three pictures of what three rocks there looked like.



3 comments:

marymaddux6272 said...

Sam, I'm proud of the stories you are telling on your blog. Thanks for all of your hard work. It is awesome to relive these experiences through your eyes.

Love,
Mom

marymaddux6272 said...

You're welcome, Mom. I will keep writing more and more stories until I run out of stories to write. Thank you for setting up a blog for me so that I could tell you lots of interesting stories.

I apprecite the help you and Cam have given me with my blog and for taking me fun places so I have such awesome things to write about.

Lot's of love.

Your son,
Sam

Anonymous said...

Looked like a great outing. Hope you all had lots of fun. My wife and I stopped by Agate Beach on our honeymoon, several years ago. Loved the California / Oregon coast. We plan to return with our kids (Maggie and Jackson) some day.

Scott from Houston Tx.